In today’s digital world, your website is the most important first impression of your company. It should look professional, be easy to navigate and communicate clearly to build trust with your customers.
Basic website development
For companies with basic needs, it’s recommended to build your website using Content management systems (CMS) like WordPress, Joomla and Drupal and use existing website design templates.
After your website is built, a CMS will make it easy for you to regularly add and edit content and keep your site up-to-date. You’ll stay relevant, which is great for user experience, and your site will be crawled more often by Google. You won’t need a web developer to help you with everyday tasks.
Bespoke website development
For companies with more advanced needs, either wanting a unique web design or more advanced functionality tied to the website, should ask to build their site from scratch. This option will be more expensive, but in return make your website unique and powerful.
How does the website development process work?
There are normally 4 steps involved in a website development project:
- Understand your business
- Understand your customers
- Understand your value proposition
- Research trends and competition
- Propose the website sitemap structure
- Propose UX design concepts and wireframes
- Follow the agreed website design concept
- Optimize the site for mobile
- Ensure high performance for the website
- Optimise SEO
- Implement tracking codes
- Improve page speed as much as possible
- Regularly submit and update new content
- Ensure there are regular security updates made to the website
- Implement a website backup solution
How long does it take to develop a website?
This varies from project-to-project and if you would prefer to simply work with an existing website theme (template) or if you would prefer to design and develop from scratch. Generally, you should be expecting 2-6 months for a new website to be built.
What does a web design company need from me?
Answering the following questions would make a great start:
- Do I need a simple or more advanced website to be built?
- What is my budget for the new website?
- Which websites out there do I like? (style, structure and features)
- When would I like the website to be ready (ideal deadline)
- Which colours and colour combinations would I prefer?
- Do I want to manage the website myself after or outsource?
Your website development company will then have a better understanding of your needs and can easily have a further project discussion with you.
What about Mobile and SEO?
Over 1/3 of Singapore and Hong Kong search traffic comes exclusively from mobile devices, hence having a mobile-optimised website is key. We make sure all designs are built with responsive performance and work seamlessly across all devices and browsers available.
As part of our process, we can also perform an SEO audit and deliver a bespoke SEO strategy to ensure your website can be found organically on search engines like Google, Yahoo and Bing.
FunctionEight has been offering web-design and website development services to companies in Singapore and Hong Kong since 2005. If you are considering to build a new website, please do get in touch with us for a free consultation.